Policies and Procedures Handbook
Garrett County Public Schools
40 South Second Street
Oakland, MD 21550
Family Medical Leave Act
- Qualified Employees
- Individuals who have been employed by the Garrett
County Public Schools for at least one year and for at
least 1250 hours.
- Qualifying Leave
- Serious personal illness certified by the employee's doctor
- Serious illness of a member of the employee's immediate family certified by the family member's doctor
- Birth, adoption or foster care placement.
- Within One Year
- Work year July 1 through June 30
- Twelve Work Weeks
- Twelve weeks during which at least three of the five days would have been scheduled work days
- If intermittent leave is requested these weeks would translate to sixty days to be scheduled on a regular basis
- Benefits Paid By The Board
- Insurance coverage would continue twelve weeks in the same manner a before the start of the leave
Notification of Rights
- Request is to be made in writing to the Personnel Office at least thirty (30)
days prior to the start of the leave except in case of an emergency or
unforseeable qualifying event. Forms FMLA1 and FMLA2 are to be used for this
- All qualifying leaves will be considered Family Medical Leave for the purpose of
providing benefits. The Personnel Office will notify the employee of the
designation of such leave (Form FMLA3).
- Each principal or the person responsible for payroll will notify the Personnel
Office when an employee is absent for more than three consecutive days due to one
of the qualifying reasons cited in the Family Medical Leave Act to ensure that
proper notification is given to the employee of the designation as qualifying
- The Personnel Office will be responsible for maintaining records related to use
of Family Medical Leave. Copies of leave requests and approvals will be kept in
the employee's personnel file.
- The employee will present a statement from the certifying physician prior to
returning from leave. Form FMLA4 may be used.
- Insurance premiums will continue to be paid by the Board in the same amount as
prior to the start of the leave for up to twelve weeks; however, due to the
Board's billing arrangement with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Maryland these are
paid on a monthly basis. When the twelve (12) week period ends prior to the end
of a calendar month the employee will be charged a pro-rated amount for insurance
premiums if the employee does not return to work at that point in time or does
not work at least eleven (11) days within that month.
- An employee who does not return from leave may be required to reimburse the Board
for benefits paid during the unpaid portion of the Family Medical Leave.
- Family Medical Leave Act posters are posted at each work site.
- Each current employee will receive written notification of FMLA rights.
New employees will receive notification at the time of employment by the use of Form FMLA5.
Application For Family or Medical Leave
Medical Certification Statement (Employee's Own Serious Illness)
Medical Certification Statement (Illness of Employee's Family Member)
Request For Family Or Medical Leave (Employer Response To Employee)
Notice Of Intention To Return From Leave
Your Rights Under The Family And Medical Leave Act Of 1993
Adobe Acrobat is required to view this chart. Download free at