Policies and Procedures Handbook
Last Updated: 5/16/2005
Garrett County Public Schools
40 South Second Street
Oakland, MD 21550
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR EVALUATION
- Purposes of Evaluation
- The evaluation will provide a process which reinforces the concept of quality education for all youth.
- The evaluation will strengthen counselor competency and performance which are inherent in quality education.
- The evaluation will promote greater communication among the counselor and the various levels of administration.
- The evaluation will serve as a basis for continued employment, assignment, and class of certificate of counselor.
- Responsibility of Evaluation
Evaluation is the responsibility of the school principal and the person
responsible for the supervision of the County Guidance Program.
The principal, being the person responsible for the school program,
shall coordinate and share the evaluation process.
- Frequency of Evaluation
Observations and evaluations will be conducted as often as needed
to effectively insure an appropriate guidance and counseling program
for all students. Principals, assistant principals and the supervisor
shall visit tenured counselors an average of three times prior to the
final evaluation conference. Non-tenured counselors will have a minimum of
two visitations and one evaluation conference each semester.
- Procedures of Evaluation
- All observations of the work performance of a counselor will be conducted openly and with full knowledge of the counselor.
- Counselors will be given a copy of any written recommendation, observation report, or evaluation report that is made of his/her
work performance. No such report will be submitted to the central office, placed in the counselor's file, or otherwise acted upon
without a prior conference with the counselor. Any counselor explanation serving as a clarification re: the report must be made
in writing on the report at the time of the conference.
- All written reports of work performance of a counselor will be submitted to
the central office and placed in the counselor's personal file. The Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction receives these reports from
principals and supervisors.
- The counselor will have the right to an appointment, upon request, with the appropriate member of the central office to review the
contents of his/her personnel file and to submit a signed and dated addition to any material in his/her file which he/she feels is needed.
- All materials in the counselor's personnel file are confidential and are to be treated as such.
- Guidelines for Counselor Evaluation
The areas listed in the "Role of the Counselor" section of the Garrett
County Guidance Plan are to be used as guides in evaluating the counselors.
Additionally, general responsibility expected of all employees must be considered
during the evaluation. These responsibilities would include, but not limited to:
- Efficient and effective use of time.
- Evidence of effective daily planning.
- Ability to adapt to emergency and unanticipated situations.
- Availability to students and parents.
- Arrives on time for the school day.
- Supports school activities.
- Follows school administrative procedures.
- Is punctual in meeting appointments.
- Completes reports accurately and on schedule.
- Accepts and completes supervisory assignments as made by the principal.
Evaluation Of General Counselor Effectiveness
Adobe Acrobat is required to view this chart. Download free at