Policies and Procedures Handbook
Last Updated: 3/30/99
Garrett County Public Schools
40 South Second Street
Oakland, MD 21550
TEACHER PLACEMENTS, ASSIGNMENTS, TRANSFERS, AND VACANCIES
- The Superintendent of Schools recommends to the Garrett County Public Schools the placement of all teachers in the school system.
- The Garrett County Public Schools approves the placement of all teachers to given schools; or, if more than one schools is involved, to given positions.
- The Principal of the given school assigns all teachers in his or her school to their particular grade(s) and/or subject area(s) according to their Maryland State Teacher Certification.
- If the Garrett County Public Schools approves the placement of a teacher who is not properly certificated for the position to a given school, then the Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum and Instruction and the principal of the school assign the teacher to a grade(s) and/or a subject area(s) being taught.
- The principal of the school is responsible for any internal transfers of teachers within his or her school provided that the proper certification of the teacher(s) is maintained. If certification becomes an issue, this must be approved by the Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum and Instruction.
- The Comprehensive Agreement between the Public Schools of Garrett County and the Garrett County Teachers Association determines transfers among schools. A request for such a transfer must be on the "Letter of Intent" and length of service shall be a priority factors in making the transfer.
- The principal of the school determines teaching vacancy or vacancies that exist in his or her school and notifies the Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum and Instruction, of the need or needs of the particular school.
- The Director of Personnel provides the appropriate director and/or supervisor and the principal involved with all applications of teachers who are certificated for the vacancy determined by the principal.
- The appropriate director, the principal, and the instructional supervisor select from these applications three to five candidates to interview for the vacancy and notify the Director of Personnel of their names, addresses, and telephone numbers.
- The Director of Personnel notifies the candidates of the time, the place, and the position for which they are being interviewed by the appropriate director and/or supervisor and the principal.
- The appropriate director and/or supervisor and the principal notify the Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum and Instruction, and the Director of Personnel of their first and second choice for the position which is vacant.
- The Director of Personnel relays the name of the candidate to the Superintendent of Schools who recommends this candidate to the Garrett County Public Schools for approval.
- At the time the name is presented to the Public Schools information regarding the candidate's previous teaching experience and certification will be shared with the Board along with step placement.