Policies and Procedures Handbook
Last Updated: 3/30/99
Garrett County Public Schools
40 South Second Street
Oakland, MD 21550
- In re-assignment or transfer of teachers, the principal, superintendent, or appropriate designee of the superintendent will make these decisions using criteria they believe to best meet the educational needs of students and the school system. Certification requirements, teacher competency and most recent evaluations, grades and subjects taught, and availability of certificated personnel will be the major factors for consideration in the transfer.
- It is the intent of the Board for the administration to work toward minimal disruption of the students' program during any particular school year unless there is reason to believe the transfer will work in the best interests of all the students involved.
- Certificated teachers declared in excess in one school will have preference in filling a vacancy in a comparable position in another school. Terms of the Comprehensive Agreement between the Public Schools of Garrett County and Garrett County Teachers' Association will be used as procedural guidelines for all transfers.
- Teacher transfers shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, nationality, sex, marital status, or handicapping condition.
- Nothing in this policy shall be construed as limiting the rights and responsibilities of the superintendent in making teacher assignments and transfers consistent with Article 6-201 of the Annotated Code of Maryland.