|Policies and Procedures Handbook||
Last Updated: 4/3/2007
Garrett County Public Schools
40 South Second Street
Oakland, MD 21550
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEER SERVICES
A criminal background check may be required for volunteers that provide certain activities that involve direct contact between a student and the volunteer. It will be required when these activities occur without a Public Schools employee being assigned to provide immediate supervision within the visual proximity of the student and the volunteer.
1. These procedures are applicable to the following volunteers:
a. Volunteers who provide mentoring/tutoring/after school services to students through programs facilitated by the Garrett County Public Schools.
b. Volunteer coaches and volunteer assistants who are involved with students in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
c. Volunteers who supervise students on overnight field trips.
2. Under Maryland law, volunteers for positions that require a criminal background check will submit a Consent/Approval Form to the school administrator, who will sign and forward the application to the Human Resources Department of the Garrett County Public Schools. The application will provide the consent and information needed for the criminal background check through fingerprinting by the Garrett County Public Schools.
3. Prior to submitting the application to the Human Resources Department, the school administrator will have the volunteer review the Garrett County Board of Education policies and procedures for child abuse and neglect (Policy 474.23 and Procedure 474.231) and sexual harassment Policy 454.0 and Procedure 454.1)
4. Upon receipt of the volunteer application, the Human Resources Department will schedule fingerprinting with the applicant. Once the results of the fingerprinting are obtained, the Human Resources Department will indicate the approval status of the applicant on the form, and will return the form to the school administrator. The Garrett County Public Schools will fund the cost of fingerprinting and background check.
5. Based on the information and self-affirmation given by the volunteer on this application, and completion of fingerprinting, the volunteer may tentatively begin the activity prior to the Human Resources Department receiving the results of the criminal background check.
6. A copy of each application and a list of approved volunteers will be maintained by the Human Resources Department. Approved volunteers may provide services in addition to the activity listed on the Consent/Approval Form.
7. Approved volunteers will be required to submit annual affirmation that they have not been convicted of a crime. The Garrett County Public Schools reserves the right to require new fingerprinting and a current criminal background check on request, and to suspend or terminate the approval of a volunteer.
8. These procedures may be waived on an emergency basis by the Superintendent or his designee.
9. These procedures will be phased-in during the 2005-2006 school year and will be required beginning with the 2006-2007 school year.
Sources: Annotated Code of the Public General Laws of Maryland: Education Article - Section 6-106; Family Law Article - Section 5-561
Consent/Approval/Renewal Form For Volunteers Requiring Criminal Background Checks
Adobe Acrobat is required to view this chart. Download free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html )
Table of Contents
Instruction 347.51 PEL