The Garrett County Board of Education voted on January 12, 2021, to accept the Superintendent’s recommendation to remain in the “red model” in which students are learning virtually. Students will begin transitioning back to in-person learning when the Garrett County metrics are at 5% or less positivity rate and 15 or less per 100,000 for 14 consecutive days.

Anyone with a question or concern may contact, and you will receive a response.

There have been 1,759 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Garrett County. Current metrics from the Garrett County Health Department are: 7-Day Positivity Percentage: 10.71%; 7-Day Case Rate Per 100,000: 21.17.

Please continue to check our website and the GCPS Coronavirus Updates page for more information.

Pupil Services

Homeless Students / Students in Transition

If my family is in transition what should I do about my child’s education?

You should discuss your situation with school officials so it can be determined whether it is in the best interest of your child to:

  • Stay in the same school he or she attended before you became homeless (this is your school of origin);   Or
  • Transfer to the school closest to your new location

The school system will enroll your child in the appropriate school, to the extent feasible.

The decision about your child’s school enrollment will take into consideration factors such as:

  • Length of stay in new location
  • Time and distance to transport your child to and from school
  • Special needs of child

What documents do I need to enroll my child in school?

If possible, please provide the following:

  • School Records
  • Birth Certificate
  • Immunizations Record

If you do not have these documents, your child cannot be denied entry into school.  The school will help you obtain any necessary documents for enrollment.

What about transportation?

  • Transportation will be provided for your child to attend the school determined to be in their best interest.
  • Your child’s school will help you get transportation for your child

What protections does my child have?

Your child has the same rights to school programs and services as all children, such as:

  • School breakfast and lunch
  • Before and after school programs
  • Pre-Kindergarten programs
  • Transportation
  • Special education
  • Career and technology education

For further information contact Pupil Services at 301-334-8926.