The Garrett County Board of Education met on Tuesday, June 24, 2014 in a Special Business Session held at 6:30 p.m. at Southern Middle School. The Board of Education took action on the following six (6) recommendations made by the School Attendance Area Committee. All six (6) recommendations were approved with a 4 – 0 vote. Mr. Matthew Paugh, Associate Member, was unable to attend the meeting.
- Assign the mobile modular classrooms recently approved by the Board of Education and Commissioners to Broad Ford
- Assign a boundary for the 2014-15 school year to Swan Meadow using the existing transportation routes.
- Allow students currently attending Swan Meadow within the new Swan Meadow boundary to continue to attend Swan Meadow. Provide students currently attending Yough Glades within the new Swan Meadow boundary an option to continue to attend Yough Glades, or enroll in Swan Meadow.
- Review Swan Meadow’s progress, in April 2015, toward reaching the targeted enrollment of 12 additional students, creating a (67%) capacity use.
- Implement the recommended kindergarten program at Swan Meadow for 2014-2015.
- Re-assign Glades West to Tomar Drive area to Crellin district.
To view the entire presentation select below link:Final Recommendations School Attendance Area Committee 6.24.14
In addition, the Board of Education approved the Fiscal Year 2015 budget, which was revised, due to the original budget submitted to Garrett County government in February 2014 not being fully funded.
The Superintendent also announced that Crellin Elementary School and Swan Meadow School start and end times would be adjusted to be consistant with the remaining elementary schools in Garrett County beginning with this school year 2014-15. Crellin Elementary and Swan Meadow School parents/guardians will be notified how the time change will affect their children as the 2014-15 school year approaches.
See All Garrett County Public Schools News