Want more news?
See All Garrett County Public Schools News
Citing a shortage of substitute teachers, the Garrett County Board of Education on Tuesday night voted unanimously to accept Superintendent Baker’s recommendation to increase rates of pay for substitutes and hourly workers. The Board of Education voted unanimously to increase the pay by 50 cents per hour effective immediately. While the change is not expected to provide a quick fix, Garrett County Public Schools (GCPS) will be more competitive in attracting qualified candidates while also keeping pace to maintain the variance between GCPS rates and Maryland Minimum Wage. Substitute teachers play a vital role in the overall success of GCPS and are an invaluable part of the school district.
In order to become a Substitute Teacher with Garrett County Public Schools, the applicant must have these minimum qualifications:
- All applicants are required to have a High School Diploma or GED and must be 21 years of age or older; however, applicants currently enrolled in a college or university must be 20 years of age or older.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Be physically able to perform the duties of a substitute teacher.
- Pass required pre-employment screenings (Drug Screening and Background Check).
- Complete other HR-related documents prior to beginning work.
- Attend a substitute teacher/instructional assistant orientation session, as determined by the Director of Human Resources and Employee Relations.
2021-2022 Revised School Year Substitute Rates:
- Instructional Assistant Teacher: $14.00 hourly/$99.40 Daily
- Non-Degreed Teacher: $15.25 hourly/$108.28 Daily
- Bachelor's Degree Teacher: $17.00 hourly/$120.70 Daily
- MSDE Certification: $17.75 hourly/$126.03 Daily
If you want to make a difference in students’ lives and enjoy a flexible schedule with competitive pay, we hope you’ll join our team and MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
To learn more about this opportunity or to apply go to the online application
, or call 301.914.1334.