Garrett County Public Schools announces that the annual comprehensive kindergarten registration program will be held again this year. This program is for all children entering kindergarten for the first time in August. Children who will be five years old by September 1, 2019, are required to register for kindergarten. Those children who are not five years old by September 1, 2019, are not eligible for kindergarten registration through this program. Kindergarten registration forms will be available to parents beginning Monday, February 4, 2019, at 8:00 AM.
The kindergarten registration program will be held all elementary schools in the month of April. Through the comprehensive registration program, each child registering for school will receive a general (confidential) health interview and dental screening. The Garrett County Health Department will review immunization records and instruct parents on required immunizations. Parents must register any child who will be five years old by September 1, 2019. The law allows exemptions to the school attendance requirements as follows:
- Permits compliance through the home school instruction regulation
- Grants a one-year immaturity if the parent or guardian makes a written request to the local school system
- Allows a 5 year old to be enrolled in one of three alternative program settings - a full-time licensed child care center, a full-time registered family day care home, or part-time in a Head Start 5 year old program.
Parents who choose to use one of the exemptions from the required 5 year old attendance must request the appropriate exemption form from the Elementary Education Department at 301-334-8927.
State regulations require parents to provide evidence of birth (their child’s birth certificate), an official immunization record, and documented proof of current residency. Documents accepted by the State of Maryland as proof of residency
- Deed/Mortgage Agreement
- Current property tax bill
- Current rental lease or agreement
- Current utility bill with applicant’s name and address
- In addition, parents must complete an Affidavit of Disclosure to verify the residency of the student. Social Security cards are also requested at registration.
Parents of children who meet the above qualifications are asked to fill out an Application for Registration form that can be picked up at a local elementary school or at the Garrett County Board of Education building and mail it to the designated address. Applications can also be completed online at: www.garrettcountyschools.org (navigate to the Early Childhood/Elementary Department). All parents registering children for school will receive a registration appointment.
Registration for kindergarten is to occur at the school the assigned district in which the child resides. If a parent has questions regarding the district in which they reside, they should contact the Transportation Department at 301-334-8907. Per Policy and Procedure 431.21, all out-of-area requests should be submitted by June 15th, and the requests will be acted upon by July 1st. Both initial and renewal requests are to be submitted annually.
STUDENTS WILL NOT BE REGISTERED OR ENROLLED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, INCLUDING PROOF OF RESIDENCY.
See All Garrett County Public Schools News