The Garrett County Public School system would like to remind parents to register any new students at their respective schools before the start of school on Monday, August 26th.
For any new student entering the school system, state regulations require parents to provide evidence of birth (the child’s birth certificate), an official immunization record, and documented proof of current residency. Documents accepted by the State of Maryland as proof of residency includes:
· Deed/Mortgage Agreement
· Current property tax bill
· Current rental lease or agreement
· Current utility bill with applicant’s name and address.
In addition, parents must complete an Affidavit of Disclosure to verify the residency of the student. Social Security cards are also requested at registration.
For Kindergarten students, parents must register any child who will be five years old by September 1, 2013. The law allows exemptions to the school attendance requirements as follows:
· Permits compliance through the home school instruction regulation.
· Grants a one-year immaturity waiver if the parent or guardian makes a written request to the local school system.
· Allows a 5 year old to be enrolled in one of three alternative program settings - a full-time licensed child care center, a full-time registered family day care home, or part-time in a Head Start 5 year old program.
Parents who choose to use one of the exemptions from the required 5 year old attendance must request the appropriate exemption form from the Department of Pupil Services at 301-334-8939.
Parents are reminded that students will not be registered or enrolled without the required documents, including proof of residency.
See All Garrett County Public Schools News