Garrett County Public Schools Bus #34 on the southern end of the county is running 30 minutes late this morning.

Human Resources

Insurance/Workers Comp Benefits

Garrett County Public Schools provide many benefits to ensure that you and your family enjoy a healthy and secure lifestyle today and in the future. Our benefits are comprehensive and easy to use. We consider them to be more than a paycheck. It is the employee's responsiblity to inform the BOE whenever they have a life status change so our records can be updated. Employees receive some benefits automatically and at no cost. They may select other benefits which will incur a cost to the employee. However, these costs may be managed through our convenient payroll deduction system.

Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance

The Garrett County Board of Education ("Board") employees and families are covered under medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance plan entitled.

The employee's share of any premium is paid by payroll deduction. The Board provides an open enrollment period for employees each year prior to the beginning of the new policy year. Open enrollment is the only time throughout the year when an employee can switch plans. The open enrollment period usually occurs in April / May.

Our medical plan is a self-funded plan. We adopted this type of plan for many reasons, including premium tax savings, the ability to hold our own reserves, and to avoid the numerous and costly benefits mandated by the State of Maryland.

Delta Dental is the carrier for our dental insurance. Delta Dental is one of the largest networks with three out of four dentists in the United States participating. Participating dentists are paid their respective allowances. Employees are provided an ID card that includes their group and enrollee numbers. Employees are encouraged to carry their ID card with them and present it whenever they or one of their eligible dependents receive dental services. Further information can be obtained by contacting Delta Dental at 1-800-932-0783 or visit their website at

National Vision Administrators (NVA) is the carrier of our vision insurance. NVA was established in 1979 and is one of the nation’s leading vision care benefit administrators. The NVA vision care program offers optical retailers, solo practitioners, discounts on non-covered items, laser surgery, contact lenses, fully funded discount program options, and aggressive cost and quality management. Employees are provided an ID card that includes their sponsor and card member numbers. The card is to be used to obtain eye care services from providers who have an agreement with NVA. Further information can be obtained by contacting NVA at 1-866-468-2393 or visit their website at to learn more about NVA’s alternative approach to vision benefits.

Life Insurance

The Garrett County Board of Education provides a term life insurance in the amount of $25,000.00 for each employee. This includes a double indemnity. The GCBOE also provides a $1,000.00 term life insurance for each dependent including spouse and children. During the fall of each year, an annual enrollment is conducted for Supplemental Life Insurance. Coverage is available in $10,000.00 increments up to $200,000.00. Our employees receive an application and information about this additional coverage. Employees are encouraged to complete the application only if they are applying for additional Supplemental Life coverage. They must adhere to the deadline noted on the forms.

Family Medical Leave Act

The Family Medical Leave Act requires employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job protected leave to "eligible" employees for certain family and medical reasons. Garrett County employees are eligible if they have worked for the BOE for at least one year and for at least 1,250 hours.

Qualification for FMLA

  • An employee must have a serious personal illness certified by their physician
  • An employee may have a serious illness of a member of their immediate family certified the family member's physician
  • The birth, adoption, or foster care placement
Definition of 12 Work Weeks
  • 12 weeks during which at least 3 of the 5 days would have been scheduled work days
  • If intermittent leave is requested, these weeks would translate to 30 days
Procedure for Requesting FMLA
  • Request must be made in writing to the Human Resources Office at least 30 days prior to the start of the leave except in the case of an emergency or unforeseeable event. Forms (FMLA 1) and (FMLA 2) are to be used for this purpose.
  • All qualifying leaves will be considered Family Medical Leave for the purpose of providing benefits. The Human Resources Office will notify the employee of the designation of such leave.
  • The employee will present a statement from the certifying physician prior to the beginning of the leave and prior to the return from leave. Form (FMLA 4) may be used for this purpose.
Benefits of FMLA
  • Employee's insurance benefits will continue to be paid by the GCBOE in the same amount as prior to the start of the leave for up to 12 weeks, however, due to the Board's billing arrangement with UMR these are paid on a monthly basis. When the 12 week period ends prior to the end of a calendar month, the employee will be charged a pro-rated amount for insurance premiums if the employee does not return to work at that point in time or does not work at least 11 days within that month.
  • An employee who does not return from leave may be required to reimburse the Board for benefits paid during the unpaid portion of the Family Medical Leave.

Worker's Compensation

The Garrett County Board of Education's Workers Compensation Insurance is through Maryland Association of Boards of Education (MABE) Workers Compensation Group Insurance of Annapolis, Maryland. MABE provides injured workers with an integrated system of benefits which offers quality medical care and a timely return to work.

What is Worker's Compensation Insurance?

Maryland employers are required by law to carry Worker's Compensation insurance. This insurance provides payment of medical expenses and lost wages that are a direct result of a compensable, on-the-job injury.

What does Worker's Compensation Pay?

The insurance pays for medical bills, lost wages due to disability, prescriptions, durable medical equipment, and vocational rehabilitation services.

What should I do if I sustain an on-the-job injury?

The most important steps are to immediately report the injury to the school administrator, and to the Office of Human Resources and Employee Realtions, and to seek medical attention when required.

The completion of three different accident investigation forms (i.e., by employee, by supervisor, and by witnesses) must be faxed to 301-334-8066 as soon as possible. Once these forms are faxed, the original copies must be sent to the Office of Human Resources and Employee Relations via pony mail. Schools should keep a copy on file and a copy must be given to the injured employee.