GCPS Announces Food & Nutrition Changes March 17th
Due to the return of students to the classroom, the Food & Nutrition Services Office (FNS) is making modifications to its meal offerings. Breakfast and Lunch will be served daily when students are attending school in-person.
The following schedules for meal distribution will be in effect until further notice:
- Beginning March 17th, the FNS Department will no longer be distributing meals to the apartment complexes.
- Beginning March 17th the FNS Department will be distributing three (3) days’ worth of breakfasts and lunches, along with seven (7) days’ worth of snack and supper on Wednesday evenings at all schools from 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. This does not include Swan Meadow or Northern Middle due to participation data. There is no sign up required, and all meals will be free for children 18 and under.
The FNS Department will also continue distributing three (3) days’ worth of breakfasts and lunches, along with seven (7) days’ worth of snack and supper on Wednesday evenings at the following locations and times:
- Garrett College- Parking Lot A, 685 Mosser Road: Wednesday 5:00 – 5:15 p.m.
- Bittinger Lutheran Parish - 22 Maynardier Ridge Road: Wednesday 5:30 – 5:45pm.
- Swanton Community Center- 3335 Swanton Road: Wednesday 5:00 -5:15 p.m.
- Gorman Fire Hall -270 Gorman Road: Wednesday 5:45 – 6:00 p.m.
- Bloomington – 334 North Branch Avenue: Wednesday 5:00 – 5:15 p.m.
- Kitzmiller – 290 W. Main Street: Wednesday 5:45 – 6:00 p.m.
Children participating in virtual learning will be contacted and must sign up for seven days of meals. If you have not been contacted and wish to sign up for seven (7) days of meals, please call 1-888-262-2792, leave your name and phone number. Meals for virtual learners will be distributed at a different time.
Parents, Guardians or a designated person may pick up meals for children. You will need the child’s name, school, and grade to pick up meals. If you know a family that cannot get to the meal pick-up sites, please check with them and get the required information; you can take meals to them.
All meals are available to any child 18 and under – free of charge - regardless of whether they are enrolled in Garrett County Public Schools or not.
Secondary: Breakfast - $1.35 Lunch - $2.85 Reduced meals will be served at no cost.
All cafeterias in Garrett County Public Schools have computerized Point of Sale. To pay for purchases, students enter their Personal Identification Numbers (PIN) and proceed to the cashier. Students pay for purchases using cash or using money placed "On Account". If a student cannot remember their PIN the cafeteria staff will be able to give it to them. Please help your child to learn this number and teach them that they should not share the number with anyone, as it is the access to their account.
Students who properly enter their number when purchasing their meal move more quickly through the service line.
Parents have the option of sending cash or check with their student(s) for deposit, however, we strongly encourage parents to monitor, view and fund students account by logging on to mySchoolBucks.com We encourage parents to also monitor their child’s cafeteria activity and account balances throughout the year. Using this tool to do so makes it easier than ever.
Depositing funds on account will allow students to purchase breakfast, lunch or any a la carte item.
Benefits of placing money "On Account"
- Safe- the PIN ensures only the one student can access the account.
- Convenient- money cannot be lost or forgotten in the morning rush.
- Fast- cafeteria lines move more quickly so there's plenty of time to eat.
- Monitored- see the secure account balance anytime on mySchoolBucks.com
- Peace of Mind- the auto replenish feature on MySchoolBucks.com ensures money for meals is always there for the student.
Garrett County Public Schools Food & Nutrition Services is now selling surplus equipment through GovDeals, an online auction site. If you wish to register (free) and bid on the items, follow the GovDeals link below.